Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The New and improved life: neither here nor there


So I want to take time to address what happens when you've lost the weight. Now what? How do you maintain this? Unfortunately our adult life is all about maintenance. You buy a car, tune up that car. Have a house I'm sure it needs a fresh coat of paint. I spent last Saturday driving all over town running errands, buying groceries, filling gas, cooking, cleaning--maintaining. Maybe I'm not the best example of "adultness" since I usually put all this off for weeks! Laundry (as I sheepishly admit) will sit till I drive back to my parents house for a visit...what can I say, their detergent just smells better ;)

So I went shopping with a friend today and she asked me what was smart eating. I explained that life isn't meant to be unhappy. Life is about love, desire and fulfillment. Its about fasting and good choices for the right reasons. What we do makes a statement about ourselves, and while no one thing could fully define the complexities of any single person...each decision needs to contribute to better. So those of you who say this, "its just one day" need to realize that today is all we have to change tomorrow.

Back to this friend, I'd ask her "what do you want to eat?" "I want to eat chips" she said. --Ok that's easy! Rather then regular chips that are fried and full of sodium, how about veggie chips with carrots, plantains, sweet potato's and casava? Low sodium baked or fried in sunflower oil.

"What do you want to eat?" "I want to eat cookies!"--ok how about brown rice crackers or rhye crackers dipped in guacamole? lower in carbs, higher in fiber and gluten free.

"What do you want to eat?" "I want to eat nuts"--Ok how about roasted walnuts, berries and raw almonds from the bulk bins, unsalted and organic. Walnuts are the super nuts of the nut world, high in antioxidants and contains the good fat that helps blast away free radicals. Berries help lower high blood pressure that plague many diseases esp those with kidney issues.

The list goes on and on...so I ask you, "what do you want to eat?"-- I promise you there's a better yummier alternative out there that will knock your socks off!

One last question was, "What can you eat to aid the oval office issues?" --well lets think of this, some wise fool once said, "you are what you eat." What he really should have said is you poo what you eat! Think about this, if you eat soft deep red and green colored foods, what color and texture will your junk be? If you eat a dense fatty hot dog, chances are your gonna have some dense, hard, dark floaters. So ask yourself, "is this item that I'm eating today, contribute to a better tomorrow?" If you really can't decide this on your own then just eat some prunes, and thank me in the morning ;)

--Now this is all in consideration for a relatively healthy individual. If you are already eating healthy and still have issues, then I'd have to refer you back to Dr. Nancy Le. Since I am not equipped to recommend meds or supps.

My healthy food adventures have been quite dull I eat the same thing everyday and haven't had any time to branch out to something new quiet yet. Therefore I have no recipes to blog about since I've not spotted anything. For this I apologize. However this blog is also dedicated to those who are wanting to know how to be healthy.

I can't stress enough that the first step is a desire followed by a good mental health. I've been playing games with myself and it showed up in my weigh in last week. Although I lost 4lbs of fat and gained 4lbs muscle in 2 weeks...my real goal is to loose wt and be healthy. If I keep evening out its a sign I'm doing something wrong. So I realized that sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. While you'll never hear anyone say "your eating too many veggies!" There is such a thing as eating too many nuts and fruits, so I really have to stick to my serving size and quit after. The trick is to pre-measure out food. It makes me feel like a OCD freak when I do this. I'll do it the night before, and the perk is the next day I don't have to think about how much and what I'm eating. I just grab my baggies and go.

And the one and only thing that could seduce me more then food?...don't be naughty, its SLEEP! so on that note...goodnight ya'll happy eatings!

No comments:

Post a Comment