Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring Salad with Modena Balsamic Vinaigrette


So I call this a spring salad because its colorful and light. I wanted it to show off my cheese...and I think it made my cheese look rather sexy. I used spinach because the flavor is light and dry so it doesn't overwhelm the citrus of the fruit or the creaminess of the feta. I added mixed nuts with cranberries. I sliced the mangoes thinly. I dusted the feta with some black pepper, the specks of black just look so pro. A few items that make this salad superior then your McDonald's verity I promise!


Black truffle oil, I hate mushrooms and swear with my life I can never eat them. The smell and texture makes me want to gag! But, for some reason olive oil infused truffle makes me salivate.

White truffle oil, a lighter more delicate taste, not as popular as black but a just as good in my book!
A good friend of mine was so sweet to buy me Wustof Santuko knives. I used the pairing knife to slice the mangoes paper thin. It was the most gratifying experience! After all, love is in the details.

The Dressing is just as important as the produce! For this recipe I used a simple vinaigrette, however the technique is pretty sweet. I spotted this recipe while watching a chef make Ceasar Salad dressing. I adapted the recipe to suit my balsamic needs.

Recipe Spotting's Balsamic Vinaigrette

Ingredients: serving size two

Your choice of Balsamic vinegar
Cold pressed olive oil
1 small egg
sea salt
black pepper
a pinch of cane sugar or agave juice

Recipe:

1. In a small bowl add 3 table spoons of balsamic
2. add a pinch of salt a dust or pepper and a pinch of sugar, mix
3. Separate the yolk from the white, add the white to the balsamic beat with fork
4. Add in olive oil until the mixture is loosened

You'll notice that the mixture will be fully incorporated and will the oil will not break away from the vinegar. The protein in the egg white allows the oil to bond with a non oil. Spoon over your salad and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment