Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blondie Mini muffin


This recipe is my take on combining the dynamic of a Blondie and the wholesomeness of a muffin. This recipe is modified in part because I didn't feel like running out to the store for some missing ingredients. One of my students actually made this. It taste a bit like a bran muffin. I think its moist and not at all dry and crumbly like some bran muffins are. Its not on the sweet side because although I love pastries, I'm not a fan of things that reek of sugar. I've also trained my taste buds for the past 7 months to become sensitive to flavors again. So you make and feel its not sweet enough there are two things you need to know. First of all, you prob need to lay off the sweets. And the kinder approach to this is to add strawberries or some berry. the slight tartness of the berry will enhance the sweet of the muffin.

This recipe is spotted from my new favorite book "Babycakes" By Erin McKenna. Urban souffle blogger bought it for me and surprised me with it when it. Erin owns the amazing bakery "BabyCakes" in NYC. Growing up she had gluten, sugar and dairy allergies. Even though her cakes are not at all conventional, they taste amazing. If you can't get out to Babycakes NYC, do the next best thing and get her cookbook. Its very thoughtful and it much like my own cooking journey, she chronicles her search for the best of the best. I am honored to take a stab at Erin's recipes. So get off your lumpy butt and join me. Oh and one last thing, if you haven't realized by now, with each recipe, please read thoroughly and follow precisely. I know its painful but its very necessary to cook well. I've taken the time to painstakingly explain to you every detail, the least you can do is "DON'T SCREW UP!" =) As the Greeks would say "Yamas!" (Cheers and enjoy!)
The Blondie Mini Muffin
This recipe is gluten free

Ingredients:

3/4 cup agave syrup
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 apple sauce unsweetened or sweetened (used as a canola oil sub)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1. preheat oven 350F
2. place rack into the center
3. 24 cupcake liners and place them in the tin
4. beat eggs and sugar in large bowl at medium speed for 1 min. Add flour salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, applesauce, milk, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for 1 min.
5. get a 1/4 ice cream scooper and scoop into tin
6. bake for 20 mins or until center springs back to the touch. muffins will come out light brown.
7. cool for 5 mins, then remove from pan completely to cool on a rack. You can frost these of you wish or slice them in half, slice up strawberries and enjoy! YAMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment