Monday, February 28, 2011

Vanilla Cupcakes With Lemon Vanilla frosting

This blog is the beginning of my gluten free endeavors. So If you've been following the chronology, you'd definitely know by now that my biggest love, besides God, my dog and men in uniforms is CHOCOLATE! This time around I thought I'd proceed in order. I feel like on the 8th day God made Vanilla bean, and then He made chocolate don't you think? I say this because I think vanilla is by far the most popular flavor of all time. I use to regard vanilla as boring. It was the adjective I'd use in replacement of boring. In my mid 20's I discovered that I had been duped and really what I was consuming most of the time was artificial vanilla. Very rarely was I lucky enough to be graced by the appearance of real vanilla bean. Vanilla is native to Mexico and it grows in black pods. You cook with it by extracting the content inside the pod. It's potent and a little will go a long way.

Vanilla is one of the most expensive spices second to saffron. Despite this "Author Frederic Rosengarten, Jr. described in The Book of Spices as "pure, spicy, and delicate" and its complex floral aroma depicted as a "peculiar bouquet.""

So what do you do if you can't find pure vanilla or can't afford it? Get the second best thing and find yourself at the organic food store and buy yourself some 100% pure vanilla extract. It may cost more, but you will use less since the flavor is more potent, therefore in the long run you might break even.

So I have never, NEVER made cupcakes from scratch before. I have always used Betty Crocker's box mix. After having had real cupcakes, I should call her Betty Crooker for having stolen my childhood from knowing the glory of knowing real goodness.

So this recipe is the one where I "Modified" because I was too lazy to go out and pick up the two ingredients I needed. BIG mistake. There is no "skipping" anything-substituting yes, but you have to be super subbing savvay. So, I ended up with muffins instead. Therefore for this baking experiment I did not modify anything. If you have been faithfully reading, hopefully you have been building up your gluten-free pantry along with me. To go out and buy every single thing needed all at once is indubitably overwhelming. However starting with just a few essentials and finding out how they work, will surely help build your baking confidence. In return, it will make shopping enjoyable and fun. Less of a headache, and more free flowing.

There are two recipes I'm about to share with you. Both are straight out of "babycakes" One is for the cupcake and the second is for the gluten free vegan frosting. I know it sounds questionable, how can you make frosting without dairy??? It's possible, I never knew I could be this healthy and feel this good but I'm doing it. I am living proof that anything is possible. Moreover you and only you are your own mind killer. I know it's cheesy but before we start lets do a few mantra chants shant we? I think this comes straight out of Tony Robinsons mantra:

Everyday in every way I will be healthy.
Everyday in every way I will be happy.
Everyday in every way I will be strong.
Everyday in every way I will loose weight.
Everyday in every way I will invest into myself.
Everyday in every way I will (add your own).

If you are thinking this is a bunch of rah rah crap, shut up! You don't deserve to be reading this. When I'm running my third mile, I'm feeling sick, tired, stressed, worried and unmotivated. When music on my ipod isn't working, and watching the TV is just annoying, when zoning out doesn't work and my legs just don't want to move anymore, what do you think gets ME through??? Sucking it up and believing in myself. Believing that I have made it this far, and giving up is never an option. I was born with short legs, small lungs and a predisposition to diabetes, cholesterol and hypertension. None of these things will mean anything at the end of the day. Let nothing define you, give in to no excuses. If you decide that today isn't a good day to work out. Then by all means stay home. But DO NOT make up a lame ass excuse.

Alright if you survived my rant lets get on to some good ol' cupcake bakin!

Vanilla Bean cupcakes with Lemon Vanilla Frosting
Courtesy of "Babycakes"

Ingredients for the cake:

2 Cups Garbanzo beans (bobs red mill)
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup arrowroot
1tbs plus 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp salt
2/3 cup melted coconut oil (omega brand)
11/3 cups agave nectar
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 fresh vanilla bean or 3tbs pure vanilla extract
1 lemon zested
1 cup hot water

I discovered the joy's of shopping in the bulk bins at the natural food store. Its sooo much cheaper. In these bags are whole grain spelt, white spelt and the little bag is arrowroot. YEY

This is used only if your making red velvet cupcake. I'll be tackling that next. =)

Directions:

  • Preheat oven 325F
  • need 24 cupcake liners
  • in a medium bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients
  • add oil, nectar, apple sauce, vanilla, and lemon zest to dry ingredients to combine. Stir in hot water and mix until batter is smooth
  • pour 1/3 cup of batter into each cup, almost filling it.
  • bake in center rack for 22 mins
  • rotating the tin 180 degrees after 15 mins
  • when the cupcakes are ready they will be golden brown and bounce back at the touch
  • let cupcakes stand to cool for 2 mins. Remove from tin and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
  • spoon about 1 tbs frosting on cupcake and frost away.
  • store cupcakes in air tight container and fridge for up to 3 days.

Ingredients for the frosting:

1 1/2 cup unsweetened rice milk
3/4 cup dry rice milk powder
1 tbs coconut flour
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
Directions:

Add all the ingredients except oil and lemon juice into a blender for 2 mins on high. Turn to low and slowly add the oil and juice in until its fully incorporated. Fridge for 6 hours. lasts 1 month.

Ingredients for natural Color dye:

Pink/Red: cherry, raspberry, cranberry, pomegranate or beet juice
Purple: Blueberry juice
Green: chlorophyll, yes the same green pigment found in plants can be found in liquid form at the health food store
Yellow: turmeric or saffron. Just a pinch


No comments:

Post a Comment