Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ricotta Cream Cheese Dark Choclate Brownies Part Deux


Did you know that brownies are truly and American design. Much like corn dogs, chili, and hamburgers?

I was craving these bad boys once again, so had to make them. Plus when I'm not feeling at my best. I bake. It soothes my soul. I play some romantic Spanish music, dim the lights and beat away. I know they look like the last ones I made. But these are new and improved so I wanted to share it with you. *transmitting one bite to you*...no? Didn't work? Oh well.

I decided I wanted chocolatetier, darker, richer, fruitier cakeier brownies. But surprise, they aren't sweet like sugar they are a respectable contribution to fine pastry.

Here's what I did differently:

For the brownie batter-
  • I used Bob's Redmill brownie mix. I modified the from the instructions on the bag. (no need to fuss over the 20 ingredients that go into anything gluten free=)
  • I added a generous dusting of dutch process cocoa
  • 2 eggs not 1
  • 3 teaspoons of vanilla not 2
  • Ghirardelli chocolate chips (they won't harden, but rather stay gooey)
For the Cheesecake batter-
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 or 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 evaporated cane juice (the ricotta cuts the sugary taste, if you like to have a sweet taste add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • beat rigorously until its aerated like pancake batter
Bake for about 40-45 mins at 350F. When a toothpick can come out easily take out to cool. It should be very slightly undercooked. this way it will continue to slightly cook while its cool. After its cool cut and leave on a plate without covering. It will continue to dry out overnight leaving it moist but not wet. It will hold up better when given time to cool. I find that when its warm and slightly undercooked it is fantastic with a scoop of organic Humboldt creamery vanilla bean ice cream.

Note that I said "fruiter" but I added no fruits. This is because by birth right, the cacao is a fruit. So the darker the chocolate the more you taste its fruit tang. I also decided to cut the cream cheese with ricotta. This is slightly less fattening. Ricotta is light,fluffy and is so versatile. It's a very mild cheese, but with a bit of a tang. Just this side of being salty. It's like creamy cottage cheese with character and tang. A touch of fluer de sel (delicate french sea salt) could help bring out the sweet. But that's up to you. I like eating grapefruits with sea salt. I was just brought up that way. It really does make fruit sweeter. Don't know it till you try it.


Whatever was bothering me before...doesn't matter, all is right in the world when I've accomplished what is to me, the perfect healthy brownie!

No comments:

Post a Comment